Winning New Business
Would you like to win more business by increasing your success rates at competitive bidding and securing follow-on orders from existing customers? How could you improve your new business win rates?
Do you and your colleagues behave in a winning or losing way when undertaking sales and business development activities? How could you better support your sales teams and those responsible for building customer relationships?
What is it that sales and business development superstars do differently? What are the critical success factors for winning new business?
Purpose of Course:
Winners and losers adopt very different approaches to key activities such as biding for business. You will learn what winners ‘do differently’ and share the secrets of the greater success of ‘superstars’.
Participants will also learn how better support can be provided to sales, business development and account management teams and explore cost-effective ways of enabling average performers to excel in winning business roles.
Who Should Attend?
Sales, marketing and business development directors, managers and their teams, key account managers, sales and business associates and representatives of direct and indirect channels. The course is also relevant for ambitious entrepreneurs and their sales, marketing and business development teams.
The number of delegates will depend upon how many people are engaged in winning business activities. Different delivery options are available to cope with audiences of different sizes.
Some companies have commissioned versions of the course, or a summary presentation based upon it, to accompany sales conferences and conventions or periodic meetings of account managers and/or sales managers or international gatherings of sales directors and vice-presidents.
To help participants become more successful at key winning business activities such as bidding for business by highlighting the critical success factors for increasing win rates and sharing the secrets of the success of sales, bidding and account development ‘superstars’.
To introduce cost-effective ways of helping sales, business development and customer relations teams to raise their game.
The course compares the approaches of companies that succeed in winning competitive bids and further business (winners) with those that struggle and fail (losers) to highlight the critical success factors for important activities such as qualifying opportunities, drafting winning proposals, helping prospects to understand and buy and negotiating successful conclusions.
Topics covered will include:
- Establishing a proactive business development strategy and targeting prospects.
- Communicating capabilities and offerings.
- Differentiating from the competition.
- Creating awareness and generating invitations to bid.
- Qualifying and prioritising opportunities.
- Assessing requirements.
- Understanding buying processes and selection criteria.
- Managing bid teams.
- Preparing and pricing winning proposals.
- Presenting a bid or proposal.
- Negotiating contracts.
- Assessing account potential.
- Establishing and building key account relationships.
- Locking customers in.
- Building business partnerships.
- Using sales and marketing support tools.
- Evaluating bidding and account management outcomes.
With appropriate briefing a bespoke course could address specific problems faced by particular business development, bid, key-account and/or sales and marketing teams.
Associated Winning Business Review:
Also, if required a pre-course winning business review can be undertaken to identify the areas that most need to be addressed if new business win rates are to be increased.
Participants will understand how the most successful companies increase their new business win rates by:
- Adopting more of the critical success factors for winning business.
- Securing more invitations to tender.
- Better understanding the buying process.
- Effectively managing new business teams.
- Creating winning proposals.
- Differentiating their offerings and responses.
- Securing a premium price.
- Using new support tools to help prospects and customers to buy.
- Achieving rapport with customers and prospects.
- Delivering winning presentations.
- Negotiating successful conclusions.
- Cross selling and securing repeat business.
- Building mutually beneficial and partnering relationships with customers.
Prof. Colin Coulson-Thomas, an experienced chairman of award winning companies, leader of the winning business research and best practice programme, Executive Editor of the ‘Winning Business’ series of reports on winning business in particular sectors and areas of professional practice and joint-author of ‘Winning New Business, the critical success factors’ has undertaken reviews of the processes and practices for winning business of over 100 companies, and helped over 100 boards and management teams to build their businesses. Colin has delivered over 200 presentations on improving performance, winning business and building relationships in some 40 countries.
Colin’s early career was in marketing and general management with the Longman Group and Xerox. He is a former course director of the Chartered Institute of Marketing’s Marketing Directors’ Workshop and International Marketing Programme and the author of over 40 books and reports including ‘Talent Management 2’ and ‘Transforming Knowledge Management’ on more affordable routes to high performance organisations, ‘The Knowledge Entrepreneur’ about creating new knowledge-based service offerings and ‘Winning Companies; Winning People’ which sets out what high performers do differently in areas vital for corporate success. His recent books and reports show how better learning and performance support can be used to help ordinary people to excel at key corporate activities such as winning business and building customer relationships.